Week #2 – Mayer’s Principles and Screencasting

Microsoft PowerPoint is a great tool that can be used in a collaborative environment!

This week I created a screencast via Screencastify of a quick Microsoft PowerPoint tutorial. As shown below, in my tutorial, I explain some unique features of Microsoft PowerPoint and how to share the presentation with peers to collaborate in group-settings. This is an awesome tool to use in both an educational and professional setting.

Mayer’s Principles

The redundancy principle is one of Mayer’s principles that I included in my screencast tutorial. This principle teaches us that adding multiple visuals, text, and narration at once can be overwhelming and so it is important to be critical about what is included to ensure it is not distracting. I accomplished this in my tutorial by adding one image of the Carbon Cycle to enhance the message I was trying to convey without being too distracting.

I also did my best to keep the coherence principle in mind while creating my screencast. This principle stresses the importance of only focusing on content that is the most important and to avoid/eliminate adding any overwhelming or unnecessary content. Although there is a lot to be said on how to use Microsoft Powerpoint, I did my best to achieve this principle by only explaining some of the most important features such as to how to add another slide in the presentation, how to share this presentation with peers, and how to add pictures.

The signaling principle is one principle that I had trouble incorporating into my screencast. This principle suggests the importance of visual cues and introductory sentences to assist the viewer in processing content. After re-watching my tutorial, I think it would have been helpful to highlight specific categories as a visual cue to assist viewers on where to look while explaining different aspects of the app. I will be sure to keep this principle in mind when creating future media for this course!

Microsoft Powerpoint Screencast Tutorial:

https://youtu.be/81BLOFxryEI

Note: I accidentally said “select” instead of “insert” when explaining how to attach a picture to a presentation slide.

1. afra

Hi Alexa, I was thoroughly impressed by your blog on Mayer’s Principle and Screencasting. I particularly appreciated your integration of Mayer’s Principle into the context of Screencasting, which provided valuable insight. Your clear examples and effective illustrations made the topic easy to comprehend and made reading your blog a delightful experience. Just a friendly suggestion, for the second blog, you may consider covering any content the you work on since your first blog up until now rather than the content from the second week. Your writing is top-notch and I look forward to reading more of your work. Keep it up!